This is Letty Watt--Oklahoma Golf Legend Podcast

Tuesday, December 5, 2023

1962- 1984 The Dining Room


Jim Tatum, Food and Beverage Manager in the 1960's-1970's
 

 As a young girl growing up at the Miami Country Club, I must admit that I have very few memories of the newly remodeled upstairs dining area, because I was a kid, who ate on the porch area, or enjoyed a peanut butter and jelly sandwich or a baloney sandwich on days when I worked till 2:00. What I do remember are all of the trips I made upstairs from the golf shop to grab a glass of fresh brewed "Iced Tea," still my favorite morning drink to this day.

Just as many trips were made to talk with the secretary. I recall the first secretary's last name was Hatfield, no relation to Bill and Evelyn. I seem to recall that she was related to Bill Carter or perhaps LaRue Gaines' mother. After Mrs. Hatfield left the Board of Directors hired Juanita Edgar. She smoked a very long cigarette and always made me laugh with a story.  She and I could confide in each other about the personalities of the members. She attempted to show me how to keep the books and be a good secretary, but I had no interest in learning that field.

On occasions I could walk in the upstairs bar and talk with Fred Gallagher, the bartender and Frankie, who was our all around best waitress. Fred and my father became best of friends during the 1960's. Fred's death on the operating table was a terrible shock to my parents and the club members.  Frankie later married Bob Klein. I had an opportunity to chat with her a decade ago, but sadly I have no notes, only fond memories. 

 


Luckily many of you have sent me memories of the importance of the dining room at the country club. Thank you.

Randy James wrote:  The clubhouse always seemed to big to me and I loved the cheeseburgers.

 Barbara Smith shared how much they loved eating Sunday after church as the Country club. I liked to look out over the golf course as we dined. Besides Sunday lunches, there were midweek ladies meetings, special events--dinners and dances--my husband and his golf clubs. Plus my speech team banquets, also in the very old two story original building! I loved playing cards by the hour, special "afternoon tea" events, etc.

Willie really liked the golf tournaments, a great group of men bonding over their golf clubs out on the course while wives were having their own special events. Such great memories! Today's Miami citizens are missing something special.  I am glad we were able to enjoy those days.

Dana Painter Meyer shared these memories: The dining room of the old club house was very special. I may be wrong, but I think the best burgers I have ever eaten were from there. During grade school, Linda Wickham and I would go have lunch there about once a month, as Rockdale School (which was new at the time) was just a few blocks away. It made us feel so special and grown up. We dined in the main dining room with all the business men and women golfers before their afternoon bridge games. Sometime later, or perhaps when we had been swimming, the kids were banished to the side porch, however, the burgers were just as good.  

Bill Oliver wrote:  My memory of the MCC is the Christmas Dance at the old country club building.  Would have been the Virginia Lee Dance Class.  So would have been in the 7th grade.  May have all the date/event wrong.  Best I can remember it was a gala affair with spectacular decorations, so assume it was Christmas. 

(My guess is the late 1950's when we performed for the Christmas dance. I believe other groups of her dancers entertained through out the early 1960's.)

I followed this memory by Bill Oliver with times when C.Ann Richards sang for various ladies groups who met at the club. This would have been between 1960-65.

 Grand Opening of the Dining Room This link will take you to the story of the 1962-63 remodeling of the entire upstairs to the country club. *Thanks to the Dobson Museum for sharing their Orick Sparlin collection.



 Facebook responses to memories of the dining room:

Mark Stewart: Sunday lunch was the best. 

Mandy Michelle Cousins: Sunday lunch was the best. Friend chicken, mashed potatoes and green beans. My mom made us put on church clothes to go eat even though we hadn't been to church. I had to cut the chicken off the bone with my knife, couldn't use my hands.  Manners were important. I also remember the creaky floor and the huge floor furnace. 

I also remember how sore the old pool made your toes after swimming all day. It was the rough concrete. 

Heather Davis: I remember Friday and Saturday nights in the lobby of the bar, watching TV on the couch while we were waiting on our parents who were having a good time.  

Neva DaVee Barker: I remember the first nine, lunch and then the second nine.  Fun times. 

Kenna Harkins: I remember sitting at the bar drinking a Shirley Temple while my dad played cards!  Many, many memories there. 

Aliesha Willard Bright: I remember going to lunch over there during school. The best cold salads, ever. 

Carolyn Cook Sweeney: My first date with my now husband of 48 years was dinner and drinks there with some of his friends. Great times.

Karen Walters Chapel: Love that place! I remember hanging out, playing cars, and eating snacks. 

Bill Newman: I remember so many things about the old clubhouse. Sunday after church going to the Club, walking up those stairs, going through the line at the smörgåsbord, huge beef.  The chef dressed in his whites with his big chef hat. I watched him carve the meat and then adding the broth, then walking across the creaky wooden floors to our table.  I especially remember golf lessons by Johnie Stapp.  The swimming pool was always so much fun and the boys locker room. Well we won't go there. 

+Personal note: I remember vividly how hard it was to play hole No 9 or No. 18 when the course became an 18 hole course, because as we walked toward the clubhouse, there would always be someone in the bar looking down and watching.  Most often if we made a putt or a good shot people tapped vigorously on the windows to cheer for you. If we didn't play the hole well they might laugh or shake their heads in sorrow or disgust. I personally thought it was a lot of pressure on me to perform well. 

Bill Newman: I thought it was cool coming into 9 green late in the evening knowing full well the whole bar was watching the whole thing!!!!  AS for the boys locker room, yes there was a pull cart storage in the entrance. There may have been a Playboy or two storied in more than one locker.  I didn't know what man cave was back then, but now I know!!!

Susie Goettel--Barnett: Since we lived across the street, quite often we had golfers knock on our door. They always said the same thing, "Pepper stole my golf ball!" Pepper was our dog.  

Katrina White Graydon: Johnie Stapp and MGCC were so important to my family. My Daddy, Al White, loved the game. He and my Uncle G.R. taught me the game by sawing off a wooden putter, then playing holes 1 and  over to 3 green on the south side of the creek. I still have the putter and all of the great memories. Gretchen and I played in the Jr. Golf league where one of our mother's would walk the 9 holes with us, teaching the game and the etiquette. They kept score, too. My mother, Hattie White, loved the game and shared that love with Al all of their lives. 

Playing in the swimming pool was wonderful and acted like a baby-sitter for our parents when they could slip away for a game of golf. Pure joy and happy memories of a free, carefree childhood. It is heartwarming to see so many familiar names. It's Billy JOE Newman to me.  Good luck with the history, Letty. 

Jim and Holli Eppler shared: "Had a job there playing the piano/dinner music, Friday and Saturday evenings during my 2nd semester year at NEO in 1965. If I remember correctly, it paid 2 bucks an hour, which was double what I made at Millner-Berkey delivering furniture. 

Joyce Rutter recalls the many times she and her bridge group met in the ladies club room on the North side. She played bridge once a week with Linda Elmburg, Barbara Robinson, Sarah Mirjanich and several other dedicated ladies. They thoroughly enjoyed their bridge club afternoons.

One time time she remembered when a giant black snake crawled up the building somehow and slithered across the outside windowsill overlooking the swimming pool. After the ladies quit screaming and calmed down they called "Johnie" to get the snake. Dad did not kill it and very carefully used a ladder and saved the snake and the women. He liked to have the snakes around to kill the mice in the cart storage area. (Mice could eat the wires on the golf carts.)

**I remember the various groups of lady bridge players, who spent hours smoking cigarettes and finishing off tasty drinks in the afternoons while the kids went swimming.

1968 November 27 "Mineliyis Plan Christmas Party"

Members of the Mineliyis Child Study club will have their husbands as guests at a Christmas dinner party at the Miami Country club at 7 p.m. December 13. Plans for the holiday event were made during a recent meeting at the home of Mrs. David Shelton, 2328 A. N.E. The women also planned to deliver a food basket to an underprivileged family at Christmastime.

Mrs. Robert Hunt, vice present, who conducted the meeting, led devotions appropriate to the Thanksgiving season and a round table discussion on the theme "Children and Sharing." Refreshments were served by Mrs. Shelton and her co-hostess Mrs. Delmer Pugh.

** This is a common occurrence for ladies clubs, sororities, professional clubs, homemaking clubs, high school and college teams, to celebrate a meal for various holidays and occasions at the Miami Golf and Country Club. 

No comments:

Post a Comment