This is Letty Watt--Oklahoma Golf Legend Podcast

Wednesday, April 3, 2024

1972-1975 APPLAUSE TO SUZY WICKHAM

My apologizes to Suzy Wickham for not publishing this story in sequence. I am most proud of the role that Suzy and her teammates played in competitive golf for young women before Title IX. 

    


Suzy's Story:


I played for OSU from 1972-75, graduating in the spring of 1975.  Joyce Seward was the first coach at OSU, but the University of Tulsa also had a team.  We did not have Title IX enacted during the years I attended OSU.  We traveled in a 9-passenger station wagon to all the tournaments.  It was pretty crowded with the team and golf bags, but we found space wherever we could.  The school issued us an orange carry golf bag and a black windbreaker and we wore jeans to play in most of the time.  We practiced at Lakeside Golf Course in Stillwater and hit our own shag balls in an open space that was a practice area for both the men’s and women’s teams.

Suzy Wickham  on the right.

1973 OSU Yearbook states: 

Oklahoma State’s women golfers displayed a lot of enthusiasm and are providing the leadership and impetus for the Big Eight Conference as well as the state of Oklahoma. OSU’s lady linksters split two matches with Southwest Missouri State and took a second and a third in a tournament at Texas Women’s Golf Tourney held in Ames, Iowa.

Suzy Wickham back row second from the right.

Oklahoma State’s women’s golf team made a fine showing in its 1973 fall competition. In a triangular match with Southwestern Missouri and Stephens, the team won with Patty Livingston as medalist. In October, the team competed in the Stephens Invitational Tournament where Karen Edwards was the medalist.


Spring competition included a ten school meet at Texas Women’s University in April. Although the two seniors of the team, Diane Sumpter and Karen Gravley, are outstanding, the upcoming freshman should make OSU’s future great in women’s golf. 

 

 Suzy's Story: My senior year I was selected to go to the national collegiate competition (called the AIAW).  It was held in Albuquerque, New Mexico at the University of New Mexico Golf Course. I was the only team member to go and represent OSU, as we did not have money to send the team, so the University of Texas coach looked after me.  It was an honor to be the first woman from OSU to play in the national championship.

 1974 October 3 Miami News Record “Oklahoma State Favored in Women’s Golf Event” (Stillwater special)

 


Karen Edwards, Bartlesville Sooner and Patty Livingston Oklahoma City John Marshall, will anchor O-State’s entry. Both consistently shoot in the high 70’s and are “unhappy when they shoot over 80,” said Coach Joyce Seward. Lisa Stone, Tulsa, Memorial, Suzy Wickham, Miami, Janie McKee, Shidler, round out the O-State squad. Only the top four finishers will score in the event.

  1975 “Pretty Swingers” by Sherri Blackwell for the 1975 OSU Yearbook

The OSU Yearbook began the page with “Pretty Swingers” and this picture with Suzy Wickham putting.

Suzy Wickham is standing next to Coach Seward on the right.
 

 Suzy's Story:

After graduating in the spring of 1975, I decided I wanted to be in the golf business.  My first job was as an Assistant Pro at La Fortune Park Golf Course in Tulsa, Oklahoma.  I started on January 1, 1976, under Jerry Jones who was the Head Golf Professional.  There was one other woman in the state of Oklahoma who was in the golf business in Oklahoma City.  Her name was Jackie Riggs and she worked at Lake Hefner Golf Course. I worked at La Fortune Park for three years and gave group lessons to women from several companies in the Tulsa area. 
 
 In 1979 I moved to Omaha, Nebraska and taught at Omaha Country Club.  During the winter months I traveled on the Asian Golf Tour as a travel consultant to the American golfers who were playing there for twelve weeks.  I got visas for 40 players and organized the hotel and transportation arrangements for aspiring young golfers, many who went on to play on the PGA Tour.  I would go with the group that missed the cut to the next tournament to prepare for that country’s national open.  I traveled to Asia for five years and loved every minute of it.

I married and lived in Omaha for 18 years and played amateur golf in Nebraska and competed in several USGA Mid-Amateur tournaments and eventually the USGA Senior Amateur tournaments.
 
I now spend summers in the Denver area at Castle Pines Golf Club and winters in Indian Wells, California at The Vintage Club.  I still enjoy golf and playing in club competitions and member guest tournaments and love the camaraderie and friendships that golf brings to my life. 

 It all started at Miami Golf and Country Club, playing with my family and anyone else I could get a game with.  I loved growing up there and fondly remember playing junior golf with Jonya, Tammy, Rebecca and many adults who loved the game.  Many thanks to Johnny Stapp who taught me how to play and treat the golf course and other players with respect.  Also, thanks to Helen Stapp who drove us to tournaments and pro-am events so that Jonya and I could chase around and get autographs from the pros and celebrities. Those were fun days!
 
Suzy Wickham Leprino

10 comments:

  1. Letty, I really enjoyed your story about Suzy Wickham. I worked with her in the summers at the Miami Parks and Recreation. I was working with her when her mother died tragically. I'm so happy to hear that she did so well. I love your stories, Letty.
    Vicki M Reynolds

    ReplyDelete
  2. New and interesting, I used to play golf with Laborn Harris Jr at OSU and knew LeBron Harris Sr his Dad and OSU men's golf coach. Women's NCAA or intramural golf at OSU didn't exist. Things have changed for the better.

    Your latest effort may be the most significant to date. I personally related more to your earlier efforts, which was very enjoyable. This was a bit enjoyable but more significant in my view

    God Bless, J. Taylor

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another hit Letty! It looks like she took writing lessons from you. Good story and another success from the golf course, there was a lot of talent to come out of the Miami course through the years. Thank you and Suzy. Paul Pipes

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved this story. Great memories of those gals.

    Well done my friend!
    Louise

    ReplyDelete

  5. I would like to have Suzy's life...summers at Castle Pines (I played the North or South course there with my company's customer tournament back in the '90's) and winters at Indian Wells!! I cannot remember which Castle Pines course we played. That was in the days when the PGA held the Sprint International there and we could not play the PGA course, but I cannot remember if it was North or South. I loved those annual tournaments as we always got to go to Castle Pines. I was always gathering up customers from here who wanted a trip to Colorado to play golf! Our company did not pay for flights, or hotels, but we paid for the golf, most of the food and of course, we sales reps, bought all their drinks. It was really a big party for our customers and it was well-attended every year. We played some kind of tournament (the STK Invitational) on the Monday after the Sprint ended. It was handicapped as I remember and my foursome won one year!
    STK stands for StorageTek Corp. Those were the days! Lynn S.R.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing, Letty. Outstanding person! I did not know any of Suzy's OSU and post graduate, playing and administrative organization success. Cheers. Dabney S.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Suzy was also a drum major in the Miami Highs School band. Mark S.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved the story and brought back some wonderful memories of playing golf with Suzy and Jonya. Randy J.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love you Suzy! Worked with her at Shangri la Pro shop in the seventies. Great golfer and all around great person! I hope you are doing well. Bill N.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the great read about one of my friends and classmates from the Wardog class of 1971. Letty, Jonya, and Suzy were real trailblazers for girls golf at MHS and beyond. Wish you all had received more recognition for your achievements. But knowing each of you, I am sure that wasn't your main goal, but to be able to compete, to see how well you could do, and reach your potential. Too bad thre were so many obstacles to overcome. But I appreciate what each of you achieved. Ken C.

    *Thank you Ken for this comment (on FB). Even though we didn't know it or think of it at the time, I do believe that we started the TITLE WAVE. Letty

    ReplyDelete