This is Letty Watt--Oklahoma Golf Legend Podcast

Wednesday, January 24, 2024

1960's--1977 Herstory--Jonya Stapp


 

Jonya Stapp crouches behind her ball to determine the line on the ninth hole of the Women's Oklahoma Golf Championship in a match with Lois Stuart at the Oaks CC. With a win over Stuart Jonya advanced to the semi-finals (1972)

1973.4.22   EDITED FOR BLOG Tulsa Tribune article (73.4.20) by Genelle Richards of the Tulsa Tribune Women’s Staff. edited by Letty Watt 1/10/2024.

For Jonya Stapp, golf is a way of life. "I started playing at such a young age, I'm not really sure whether I like it or I am used to it. I have played all of my life, so now I want to do something different."

She is currently attending the University of Tulsa where she is majoring in Spanish. Jonya, age 21, competed in the Miss Tulsa contest Saturday night finishing first runner-up. In 1972, she was named "Most Beautiful Golfer of the Year" by Golf Digest. She feels the honor meant more to her than being crowned Miss Oklahoma. 

Jonya spent January studying Spanish in Mexico and received four hours credit for her efforts. While visiting there she learned a flamenco dance which she performed as her talent requirement in the Miss Tulsa pageant. 

Because school is taking up so much of her time, she has not been able to participate on the TU golf team. She has not worked on her golf game this year because of her involvement in the pageant. 

She did assist in a one-day golf clinic at Southern Hills Country club recently. In June she will serve as queen of the NCAA golf tournament. 

Joining the LPGA circuit doesn't interest Jonya now. "It costs a lot of money to play on the pro tour. Since the prize money is not as much as the men's, you must stay on top all of the time or go into debt." "The tour is not too glamorous unless you stay on top and the great amount of travel is hard on a woman. Bonnie Bryant, my partner in the Sears Classic in March 1972, would get up in the morning and hit dozens of golf balls out of the sand trap. The sand would blow in her face, and I thought to myself, do I really want that?"

Jonya's advice for women who want to improve their golf game. "First of all, consult a professional golfer. If you don't have time to practice, stay in shape by doing pushups or swinging a club in your front yard. Concentration is the most important part of the game. Mental attitude is 90 per cent of the game."

Although she hasn't missed a women's state tournament since she was eight, Jonya hasn't decided whether she will participate in this year's event in Oklahoma City. The important part of her life now is receiving her education.

Jonya and mother, Helen Stapp. 1976 retirement party for Johnie F. Stapp. 

"I am going to slack off my golf until I receive my degree. After that I will have more time for golf." Since Jonya is not decided on the pro circuit, she has the considered working in a pro shop. In that capacity she would like to teach women golfers, or she might mix golf with her knowledge of Spanish. Jonya has also given thought to teaching golf in Mexico, such as Acapulco.

Over the next four years Jonya graduated from TU and finished a master's degree in Spanish from the University of Oklahoma.



1977 June THE GOLF REPORTER magazine special issue on the U.S. Open, “Jonya Stapp Drives for the Green” by Elven Lindblad

*edited by Letty Watt 1/10/24

 

After playing golf for Northeastern A&M as a freshman in the NJCAA championship, Jonya went to a self-imposed exile to pursue academic excellence. The path led down Interstate 44 from Miami to the University of Tulsa, then on to Oklahoma City and the southbound swing to Norman for her current graduate work in Spanish at the University of Oklahoma.

Jonya lacks only three hours to earn her master’s degree in Spanish from OU. She teaches two hours a day, but preparation for those classes while carrying a 14-hour class load is a task of Herculean proportions.

With the ability to play with the big girls, there is no doubt, will she use her musical and theatrical talents, or will she use her graduate work to teach Spanish or work in a golf shop? Motivation is the secret word.

“Since I was 17, there have been so many roads before me,” Jonya said. “I was able to sing and dance, I was a good golfer to a lot of people, I loved Spanish music and culture, and I was in gymnastics.”

Jonya believes her game matches favorably with many current LPGA players. Currently, time will be required for improving her physical condition, and an old wrist injury still bothers her, but Jonya’s main concerns is the intense, almost fanatical concentration that pro golf demands.


Why does Jonya like golf? “Golf is not a rugged sport. You can be as skillful or as delicate as you want to be.”

In the grand athletic tradition, the sport can’t be taken from her heart and mind. When friends suggest spending time at the park for a picnic or flying a kite, something inside Jonya urges her not to go to the park, but to go to the practice range and hit golf balls. She admits that she feels relieved after hitting a couple of buckets of golf balls.

Jonya has been playing tournament golf since the age of eight when she played in the Women’s Oklahoma Girls Jr. Golf championship in the Pee-Wee division, a title she later won in 1967.  Titles and trophies followed her for the next decade. Her game is now accented by a marked maturity in her golf and outlook on life.

“I would go out and swing without thinking about the course when I was younger. Now, I analyze the course before playing. Golf is more of a challenge when you are hitting the ball for placement instead of as hard as you can,” she explained.

Jonya was not lucky enough to catch the train known as the growth of women’s intercollegiate athletics and golf (Title IX). The year after Jonya graduated from TU, Dale McNamara was hired as women’s coach and started the program on the road to the illustrious loft it now enjoys.

“I could have benefited from playing college golf because of the frequency of practice and competitions. I am glad the interest is growing because I could wind up a as a golf coach if I ever had to double up while teaching school.”

So, Jonya Stapp has arrived at her crossroads. One beckoning path will produce folding green from a putting green. Another path where she might share her golf insight with others. A third path involves utilization of her affection and knowledge of the Spanish culture.

“I have so many directions that I could go. I am worried about choosing the wrong one, but I will leave this in God’s hands and let Him show me what He wants me to do. Things always work out better that way.” 


Jonya is now retired after teaching Spanish in public and private schools over the last forty years. Her passion for Spanish has only increased as she has traveled to Spain and carries a special place in her heart for the people and culture of Antigua, Guatemala. Even now in retirement she finds time to teach Spanish online at various Oklahoma City college campuses.

When asked, would she like to return to golf?  “Absolutely, it’s my second home,” she replied, “While my husband and I travel the United States in our RV, hopefully we will take time to play golf.”  (January 10, 2024).

 

 

 Reading these two stories along with the bundles of newspaper clippings of my sister, Jonya, has been a joy for me and an eye opener about her young life. In 2014 Jack and I moved back to Norman and Jonya was living in Oklahoma City with her husband Bill.  Since then Jonya and I have found time to travel back and forth to Miami, to Dallas to see friends, and elsewhere to meet up with family. How lucky we are to have each other and this wonderful history we share with other Miamians.  We were truly raised by a village, or perhaps an entire gallery of golfers who came and went in our lives.Hope to see you all July 27 at the Dobson Museum. 


Jonya and Letty on the road 2019. 


 This is the link to a podcast I was invited to do about the history of the Miami Golf and Country Club.

Miami Country club history by Letty Watt

 


No comments:

Post a Comment