This is Letty Watt--Oklahoma Golf Legend Podcast

Wednesday, January 10, 2024

Claire Oliver’s Story--Miami High School Golf Coach

1960's far left Yvonne Temple, Florence Dawson, Claire Oliver in peach colored outfit, and Clara Barton
 

What if you were a high school student whose biology teacher could beat you at golf, tennis, tell you the latest score of the OU football or basketball game and what position they were in the standings and then show you how to identify the organs of the body using a preserved fetal pig?  If so, you would have most likely said my teacher is Claire Oliver who taught biology in Miami Oklahoma from 1961 – 1978.

Claire attended Junior College in Iola, Kansas from 1939- 1941.  When our country was drawn into WWII, she worked as telephone operator from 3:00 pm – 11:00 pm then carried 18 credits hours at a major university.  Accordingly, Claire Oliver earned her Bachelor of Arts degree in Bacteriology from the University of Kansas in 1943. 

During her Junior Year at KU, she gained permission from her professors to take three weeks off to marry her hometown sweetheart, Bill Oliver, who was now a Navy pilot stationed in Oakland, California.  They were married March 23, 1942 in Reno, Nevada and Mrs. Oliver stayed with her husband for another two weeks until he left for his tour in the South Pacific. 

Claire received a telegram from Lieutenant Commander Bill Oliver as she walked toward the stadium to receive her diploma in May 1943 saying he was back in the states.  Bill and Claire then traveled to Patuxent River Maryland Naval Base where Bill was a test pilot and Claire worked in the dispensary. 

In December 1945, Claire, Bill and their newborn daughter, Diana, moved to Miami, Oklahoma where Bill started a business and Claire stayed at home to raise their daughter and their son, Bill, who was born in Miami.  While her children were in grade school, Claire started playing golf and recruited the entire family to participate in the sport.  Unfortunately for her family, Claire somehow always ended up with the lowest score. She was always an exuberant and competitive golfer.

When her children were older, Claire started her teaching journey with trips to Pittsburg Kansas State College where she received her teaching certificate. Shortly after beginning her teaching career, Claire pursued her master’s degree in biology.

1973

During these years she also began coaching boys and girls golf at Will Rogers Jr. High and eventually coaching girls golf at the high school.

After her retirement, Claire and Bill continued to play golf and travel. When well into her nineties, if Mrs. Oliver could see a little better and grip a club a little tighter, she would have still been able to give her students a run for their money on the golf course. **Story shared by her son, Bill Oliver.

Friends and students from Miami shared many memories about Mrs. Oliver.

*Personal note: Between 1973-75 I attended P.S.U. completing my bachelor’s degree in education and library science. It was during these that I began to develop my skills as a professional storyteller and puppeteer. I frequently gave workshops and taught summer school on how to use these skills with students in the classroom.

One afternoon at Pittsburg State University, I performed for a large audience of teachers, using puppets and stories to relate to them and their students. At some point, I took a breathe and remarked that I recently learned how to tell stories and use them in the classroom. Before I could continue with my train of thought a hand went up followed by woman sitting about eight rows up and left of center in the theatre style auditorium who stood up and spoke, “That is not true!”

I nearly collapsed. I am quite sure my jaw dropped, and I looked like a fool standing there, until I recognized the voice and the woman, Mrs. Oliver.

She continued, “I would like to say that Letty has been a storyteller all of her life. I watched her grow up at the Miami Country club where she listened to and learned from all of us how to tell a good story. Her father is also a captivating storyteller, liar, and golfer.”

The audience and I were hysterical over her point. I walked up and gave her a hug. At that moment, I changed my outline and told a true but wild county club story about a cat that we found in the large freezer in the old kitchen. Maybe someday I will tell that story again.

*The following remarks came from Facebook (January 2024) after I posted a story about Mrs. Oliver being a witness to a hole that ten-year-old Billy Jackson played entirely with his putter and managed to par old number 3. Billy Jackson Story

Linda Connell: Did Mrs. Oliver teach science at WRHH?

Kelly Jo Chase-Lindner: I thought she taught at the high school. We once lived next door to her. Neat lady!

Rob Rollins: I was thinking she worked at both the junior and senior high school.

1974 Miami High School Girls Golf Team

Front Row: Ann Heyburn, Linda Wickham, Roxie Freeman. Second Row: Cathy Gee, Robin Baldridge, Sherri Weatherford. Third Row: Pam Landers, Karen Hunt, Brenda Brown, Coach Claire Oliver, Christie Adkison, Sharon Rohwedder.

Kelly Jo Chase-Lindner: By the time I knew her she was MHS. I remember one time she had a water moccasin in a metal tub at the side of her house. It was probably for an experiment or something (animal lovers…don’t start thinking. She taught biology). Anyway, I remember she called me over from the front yard to come check it out. I was about eight and felt honored to be invited to see it.

Sally Heydt: I graduated in 1969 and she taught at the high school during my years there. Unfortunately, I was not in her class. Many of my friends were and loved her!

Linda Connell: I had her in 7th grade. She was such a nice person and rode with us to OKC to the museum.,

Patrick Campbell: Very compelling story. I grew up in Miami and loved every minute of it. I was a classmate and friend of your gorgeous and talented sister, Jonya. I remember your dad well. I remember young Billy and his dad Wayman and oddly enough July 17, 1973 was my 21st birthday. Thank you for posting this story. 

 Archie Loehr: It was a privilege to spend 12 years at MHS with her. She was always so upbeat.  

Steve Booth: I loved her...I knew her from church and school. I was always her favorite..she made me feel that way. 

Mike Lillie:  Steve Booth hate to bust your bubble but I was definitely her favorite. She was the kindest most caring person. 

Ronda Hildebrand Klindworth: Awesome teacher. Kind, gentle, and sweet. She made biology fun. 

Nancy Goforth: Caring, compassionate and always a smile. Was fortunate to have her as a Great Biology teacher. 

Clara Searle Mann: Love her. She was a great biology teacher and one of my mother-in-laws best friends.  Miss them both. 

Laura Curry Barnett: The SMILE first thing in the morning her HS Biology. How did she do it every day? As a BIO major and having taught for 32.5 years teaching HS and MS BIO and LIFE SCIENCE--I'm even more amazed than ever. What a role model. 

Connie Platt: Claire was always laughing, enjoying life...always. She had thrown me a Wedding Shower. When I was entering her home she was all prepared with delicious food and decor in her beautiful home. Claire said, "Oh, hurry, get inside, don't let the Dog Out!" I was beside myself trying not to let the dog out, especialy since she lived on a busy one way street. Well, Claire didn't even have a dog...Ha ha ha. We laughed and laughed over that. I can only imagine was fun she was as an educator. She and Bill were a very classy couple. I miss them both. 

Doug Clanton: She was a great teacher; smart, funny and patient. She made dissecting piglets interesting and fun, though I never leaned to enjoy the smell of formaldehyde. 

Sally Gatewood: A wonderful Christian lady. Always had smile on her face. Really miss her. 

Joanne Lacaff Lasky: She was a goof friends of my mom's. I loved it when she would visit. 

Stephanie Brown: Mrs. Oliver instilled in me a love of science and the desire to purue it with the curiosity and passion that she demonstrated in the classroom.

At MHS I was in her biology class. I remember one week she introduced the world of microbiology to us...Petri dishes, sampling techniques and the amazing microbes in our world. She brought enrichment to all of our lives...in subject matter but also as a woman of integrity and heart. 

At a class reunion, I had the opportunity to thank her for her role in my education, for I became a teacher and taught science at elementary, middle school for over 27 years. What a legacy she left us. 

Letty, thank you for sharing Mrs. Oliver's story. 

Suzie Webber Walker: I was one of the lucky ones. Having had one or two incompetent teachers, it was so special to have one of the greatest teachers.  

Ann Cordell Ballew: Loved having her as our coach. A wonderful lady. 

Norman Hildebrand: Mrs. Oliver was a sweet lady and very good teacher.

 Colby Allen: I had Mrs. Oliver in school, then years later bought our building from her. She was absolutely one of the finest people I have ever known. 

Debbie Lee Graves: I have great memories of her biology class and dissecting a fetal pig!! She was an incredible lady. A delight person. 



1921 January 13—2014 April 10 Thank you Claire Oliver for the memories.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment